Welcome, jerks.


Yeah, I got the fever. Three or four years ago, a rabid, red-eyed zombie sank its rotten teeth into my arm and thus I was infected with a peculiar strain of irrational obsession. Since then I have breathed, eaten, and slept bikes and almost nothing else. Maybe a vaccine will be invented, or maybe it'll simply pass, but until then I'm a slave to my compulsion to buy, transport, take apart, degrease, scour, lube, polish, assemble, tune, tighten, align, wax, buff, and yes, ride, ride, ride these magical two-wheeled machines.

So, the idea is, on this page I'm going to post pictures and perhaps stories of bikes that I've refurbished and ridden or ones that are in the process or recently completed. Maybe it'll expand from there. We'll see, I guess.

Friday, November 30, 2012

'81 Fuji America

One of the most revered of the classic Fuji models, the America was produced for a decade or so, from the early '70s to the early '80s. From what I understand, it was marketed as a touring bike for the "discerning" (read: "spendthift") cyclist. (A 1980 Bicyling Magazine review cast it as a touring bike for wealthy roadies.) Fittingly, this one is set up with some of the best parts of the day: Suntour Superbe calipers, Cyclone derailleurs, Sugino Mighty Tour crankset, sealed bearing hubs, etc. While I would never take it touring--limited tire/fender clearance and short chain stays--it seems to me well suited for randonneur purposes--low trail geometry, sturdy wheels, a crankset that could easily be converted into a wide-range double.
This one received routine maintenance, new folding Pasela TG tires (700x28) and other comsumables, and Velo Orange hammered fenders (that barely fit). When the rear wheel proved to have a nasty hop that caused some annoying fender rub, I rebuilt it using a new Velocity Twin Hollow rim (which I picked up at Rivendell, after a short chat with GP about wheel building). The Twin Hollow has a very similar profile to the original Ukai and it builds up nicely.












8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Matteo. I can always count on a compliment from you when I post a Fuji :)

      Delete
  2. Very nice. I think it is interesting that you built wheels with the original "medium flange" hubs. I have to check out those twin hollows, really a nice classic look that is hard to find anywhere...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful builds. May I know which bar tape you used?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Newbaum's cotton tape in maroon, unshellacked.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful bike! I have been cross Country on the Fuji America and what a beautiful ride it was and is. New inexperienced high maintenance riders who need fenders or fat ass tires and stay at the Holiday Inn with their AX card need not apply!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The same bike that GOD rode cross Country in the early 80's!

    ReplyDelete
  6. QUANTUM BINARY SIGNALS

    Professional trading signals delivered to your mobile phone daily.

    Start following our trades right now and profit up to 270% per day.

    ReplyDelete