Welcome, jerks.


Yeah, I got the fever. Three or four years ago, a rabid, red-eyed zombie sank its rotten teeth into my arm and thus I was infected with a peculiar strain of irrational obsession. Since then I have breathed, eaten, and slept bikes and almost nothing else. Maybe a vaccine will be invented, or maybe it'll simply pass, but until then I'm a slave to my compulsion to buy, transport, take apart, degrease, scour, lube, polish, assemble, tune, tighten, align, wax, buff, and yes, ride, ride, ride these magical two-wheeled machines.

So, the idea is, on this page I'm going to post pictures and perhaps stories of bikes that I've refurbished and ridden or ones that are in the process or recently completed. Maybe it'll expand from there. We'll see, I guess.

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Austro-Daimler

Austro-Daimler is an Austrian manufacturer that made limousines for a very long time. I think they may have made the limo that Archduke Ferdinand was shot in. For a time, they also made some fine bicycles. the best thing is that not many people know about them, so when you find one it's often a pretty good deal. Anyhow, here's one that I got to refurbish a while back. The previous owner had left it outside for a long time down in San Diego, so the parts were pretty rusty. Much worse than that, when I brought it home, I found to my chagrin that the seatpost was fused to the seat tube. (For those who don't speak bike that means you couldn't move the seat up or down, a very serious limitation.) Yep, that's what happens when you fail to grease the seatpost. After soaking it in ammonia for several days to eat away at the aluminum oxide, I clamped it a vise and used the frame for leverage. In the end it took two people, simultaneously using all our might, about half an hour to twist it free. Ugghh.

It was a learning experience and in the end it was worth it. Here's the final product, complete with shellacked cloth bar tape for old-school authenticity.






No comments:

Post a Comment