Welcome, jerks.


Yeah, I got the fever. Three or four years ago, a rabid, red-eyed zombie sank its rotten teeth into my arm and thus I was infected with a peculiar strain of irrational obsession. Since then I have breathed, eaten, and slept bikes and almost nothing else. Maybe a vaccine will be invented, or maybe it'll simply pass, but until then I'm a slave to my compulsion to buy, transport, take apart, degrease, scour, lube, polish, assemble, tune, tighten, align, wax, buff, and yes, ride, ride, ride these magical two-wheeled machines.

So, the idea is, on this page I'm going to post pictures and perhaps stories of bikes that I've refurbished and ridden or ones that are in the process or recently completed. Maybe it'll expand from there. We'll see, I guess.

Friday, January 13, 2012

'91 Miyata 914

Right now this bike is sitting next to my '85 Team Miyata and they make quite a pair. While I'll be the first to admit that I'm not an expert, it's my impression that lugged-and-butted steel production frames just didn't get any better than this.






6 comments:

  1. Lovely bikes they are, got one myself. After more than 20 years of use I did a complete overhaul of it last year. Touched up the paint and did an upgrade all over to NOS early 90's Shimano 600 components I got off ebay. I still use it regularly during summer, such a nice ride! Lovely to see yours in such good condition, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice bike, I have been bitten by the same zombie as you! Purchased a 1990 914 Miyata off ebay about two months ago. Just loving the bike. Not in good shape, sitting in someones garage for about 20 years, some rust and corrosion on parts. I am planning to bring it back as much as possible. Really needs a paint job, but reluctant to do this as I would need to find new decals. Trawling ebay for more!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jimney,

    With all due respect, I think decals are highly overrated. The way I see it, when you restore an old bike, you prepare it for a second life. Why shouldn't it have an entirely different skin for that second life? My advice: Ditch the original paint color and decals and let your imagination determine the new look of the bike. I know a lot of folks out there would strongly disagree; these are just my two cents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Andre, beautiful work!
    I've been given a 1990 914, my first steel/vintage bicycle, have you any advice on restoring it?
    As far as I can tell, the BB and headset needs work, and cables replaced, but I am unfamiliar with the old models.
    Would love any advice you can spare!
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. A 1979 Miyata 912 was one of my first reburbs it was a lovely bike, gorgeous Shimano 600 Arabesque components, and I really regret selling on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am currently working on your bikes fancier twin, it's a 91 miyata nine 14 SE, almost the same but with shimano 600 tri-color, unfortunately someone made a swap of almost all of the shimano components to suntour edge components so I have been slowly getting it all switched back. I have everything but the wheels and hubs switched back, I have not yet had the opportunity to ride it Hopefully in the spring when the snow goes away I'll be able to take it out. Beautiful bike by the way.

    ReplyDelete