Welcome, jerks.


Yeah, I got the fever. Three or four years ago, a rabid, red-eyed zombie sank its rotten teeth into my arm and thus I was infected with a peculiar strain of irrational obsession. Since then I have breathed, eaten, and slept bikes and almost nothing else. Maybe a vaccine will be invented, or maybe it'll simply pass, but until then I'm a slave to my compulsion to buy, transport, take apart, degrease, scour, lube, polish, assemble, tune, tighten, align, wax, buff, and yes, ride, ride, ride these magical two-wheeled machines.

So, the idea is, on this page I'm going to post pictures and perhaps stories of bikes that I've refurbished and ridden or ones that are in the process or recently completed. Maybe it'll expand from there. We'll see, I guess.

Friday, January 13, 2012

Minty Freshness: '87 Fuji Saratoga Tourer

This one came to me in really good shape and just got a routine servicing and a mild make-over. The Saratoga is a touring model that, for some reason, you never really hear anything about. Everything about this one, however, suggests that it's a really solid, well-thought-out tourer, comparable to the Trek 520 of the same era. With each Fuji that passes through my hands, I'm more convinced that Fujis are under-appreciated.






5 comments:

  1. Wow! For some reason that one's never been on my radar. It's beautiful, and has all the 'good stuff' of a quality touring bike. These old fujis are definitely under-appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hadn't been on my radar either but now it is! Uh oh, secret's out.

      Delete
  2. What brand of cable housing is that? Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's Velo Orange braided metallic housing. It was my first time using it but it won't be the last. I agree, it looks great, although be aware it's super stiff (laterally) so it's a bit more difficult to route that most housing.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I might have to check it out.

      Delete