Welcome, jerks.


Yeah, I got the fever. Three or four years ago, a rabid, red-eyed zombie sank its rotten teeth into my arm and thus I was infected with a peculiar strain of irrational obsession. Since then I have breathed, eaten, and slept bikes and almost nothing else. Maybe a vaccine will be invented, or maybe it'll simply pass, but until then I'm a slave to my compulsion to buy, transport, take apart, degrease, scour, lube, polish, assemble, tune, tighten, align, wax, buff, and yes, ride, ride, ride these magical two-wheeled machines.

So, the idea is, on this page I'm going to post pictures and perhaps stories of bikes that I've refurbished and ridden or ones that are in the process or recently completed. Maybe it'll expand from there. We'll see, I guess.

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Raleigh Portage (58cm)








This one's up for sale right now. I bought it from a dude in the Coast Guard who rode it once in the last 20 years. It sat outside under a tarp somewhere near Petaluma until he decided the time had come to pass it on to someone who'd actually use it. I took off a lot of a lot of rusty hardware and dirt to get it looking and riding nicely again. It's a really rugged road bike, meant to travel thousands and thousands of miles with a full load of camping gear. I really hope someone buys this in order to go touring.

Update: Just sold it to a fellow who's lady friend was kind enough to drive in from Marin to pick it up for him.









 

2 comments:

  1. I have rebuilt a number of "Old 10 speeds" but have just been recently bitten by the Vintage Touring bike bug and wow what a transformation on that Portage- gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you put me in contact with the fella you sold it to?

    ReplyDelete